Criminal Law FAQs

Q: When Should I Get a Lawyer?

If you have been arrested for a crime or believe that you are being investigated for a crime, you should speak to an attorney. If you have been asked to come in to a police department to speak to an officer, you should speak with an attorney immediately. While you are innocent until proven guilty on any case, a vigilant defense starts with an experienced, skilled assessment of your case as promptly as possible. It may still be possible to secure evidence or preserve witness recollections.

Q: Do I Have to Hire an Attorney for a Criminal Case?

Although certain types of defendants, such as juveniles or the mentally ill, are required to have legal representation, it is possible to defend yourself in court. But that doesn't make it wise. Contact The Law Offices of Charles Rohde & Pierina Infelise, P.C at 630-478-9924 for a free consultation of your case. The fact of the matter is that when your liberty is at stake, you should seek legal advice from a highly qualified criminal defense team like The Law Offices of Charles Rohde & Pierina Infelise, P.C

Q: How Much Do You Charge?

The answer depends on the type of case. Criminal cases are ordinarily quoted on a flat fee based upon a number of factors, including the seriousness of the charge. Juvenile abuse and neglect cases, like other civil law cases, are billed at an hourly rate. Set up a free consultation to discuss what your case will cost. We pride ourselves in setting reasonable fees. Payment plans are available. Visa and MasterCard are accepted.

Q: I Just Have a Traffic Ticket – Do I Need an Attorney?

The answer depends on the case. Some traffic tickets carry substantially more serious consequences than others. For example: A conviction on Passing a School Bus will suspend your driver's license. Speeding in a Construction Zone carries a much higher fine than a typical speeding ticket. Even a typical speeding ticket can suspend your license if you have had one or more moving violations over the past twelve months. If you have any question about the effect that a ticket will have on your driving privileges, The Law Offices of Charles Rohde & Pierina Infelise, P.C. will give you a free assessment of the implications to your individual license.

Q: The Police Arrested Me and Never Read Me My Miranda Rights. Shouldn't the Case Be Dismissed?

The remedy for a Miranda violation is the suppression of the ill-gotten statement. If the evidence against you consists mainly of the statement that you gave to law enforcement, then there is a chance that suppression of the statement will cause the State to dismiss the charges. In most circumstances, however, the result of a suppression of statements serves to weaken the State's case against you.

Keep in mind, regardless of how it is portrayed on television, Miranda warnings are only necessary in custodial interrogation situations. That means that the police need only Mirandize those who are questioned while in their custody. However, what constitutes interrogation and whether one is really free to leave are issues that are often the subject of motion hearings. If you are unsure about whether your Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination was violated, you should discuss that with an attorney.

Q: The Police Told Me They Stopped Me for a Traffic Violation, But I Think It Was Really an Excuse to Pull Me Over to Find Out if I Had Anything in My Car. Can They Do That?

The answer depends on whether the police did in fact observe the traffic violation. If a law enforcement officer actually observes a violation of the vehicle code, then he can pull you over even if it is a pretext, meaning even if he suspects you of some other type of wrongdoing.